November 25, 2010

Grateful

Because I have been given much, I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty, Lord each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee with every brother that I see,
who has the need of help from me.
Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care…
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share-
my glowing fire, my loaf of bread-my roof’s safe shelter over head,
that he too may be comforted.
Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need. I’ll show that love by word and deed,
thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.

Ive had this hymn stuck in my head for about the past week. Not a bad song, if you have to have one playing a continuous thread in your head. It is, in fact a beautiful song. But I have been thinking about how INCREDIBLY blessed I am. 
Of the 6,883,699,600 people in the world, 310,780,373 live in the United States- about 4%. What are the odds that I was born here, while I could have been born anywhere? 
of those 310,780,373 people who were blessed to be born in an this advantaged geographical location, only 1.7% are Mormons. To me, this blessing is AMAZING! I have the confidence and peace of knowing who I am, where I came from, where I am going, and why I am here. I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ is his son, that we have been given a living prophet who leads us and guides us. I know that I can have an eternal family. 
The odds of me being born here in the united states are inconceivable- I have better odds trying to win the lottery! Throw in the blessing of having the blessing of having Jesus Christ's gospel (fully restored), and the odds are even lower. 
How come I  was born in a country of plenty, where I have always had shoes, and more? I have SO many luxuries! Internet at the click of a button, diapers and wipes for my babies, a beautiful and warm home, A/C, clean water and easily accessible foods. I could go on and on with the list...how fortunate I am! 
And how ungrateful I can be. I try not to be, but it is difficult. I love that I have been so blessed. I love my husband who does such a great job providing for my family and meeting our needs and more! I love my children who are excited and energetic! I am grateful for my health and strength, and the peace and confidence that I have in my life. 

3 comments:

  1. That was beautiful, Lorie! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lorie....hope all is well with you. I have a bag of kid shoes that I want to pass on to you. Are you still collecting? How can I get them to you? Maybe we could meet up one morning at Starbucks for a few minutes or if you have a drop box let me know. Hope your week is good....ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger,
    Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you! It has been crazy since thanksgiving! My parents came into town and then my husbands parents were in town. The following week was finals week, so I was stuck studying and taking my final exams! I would love to get together and meet up, and yes- I am still collecting shoes. When are you available? you can email me at lorieu@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete