October 29, 2010

Week 2

I want to tell the Frederick community that I have been impressed with the enthusiasm that I have seen. I posted my first message on Frederick Freecycle one week ago, and expected maybe a response or two. Three tops, but have had about 15 people in the week express a desire to contribute! I have about 30 pair of shoes now, and have only picked up from 4 homes! Thank you to those families who have donated!! I am very grateful for your generosity and selflessness!

I thought it would be a great idea to set up some contribution boxes in some public places. As of now, I have contacted the Giant grocery store on Kingsfisher Blvd. They accepted, and as soon as I can find a big box, I will be setting it up to recieve gently used childrens shoes. I will update with any additional locations that will accept donations for the kids!

I was contacted on monday by a reporter for the newspaper who wanted to do a story about the collection effort! Megan had recieved a story suggestion from a person who had seen my freecycle ad, and contacted me for more information and to set up an interview. Honestly, I typically would decline any opportunity to have the spotlight on me, but was excited because of the awareness that it will generate. I interviewed with Megan yesterday, and although I am pretty petrified at the idea of being in the newspaper, it is such a great opportunity! So, everybody, read the Frederick News post on Saturday!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lorie,

    I just read the Slice of Life article. This is a great endeavor and I congratulate you for it. I am the president of Kids Are Heroes (www.kidsareheroes.org), a local non-profit here in Frederick and this sounds like a good thing to post as an "idea" for children to get involved with as it develops. I also know someone who sends care pkgs regularly to the troops from here so she might also provide some insight. I hope to be able to chat further about it. Are you on Twitter? FYI my email is gabe(at)kidsareheroes(dot)org.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorie,
    Can you post a link to the article or the article itself? I would love to read it. You seriously rock. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to read it too!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabe, Thanks, i think it would be a lovely idea for children to get involved! I will send you an email. Also, yes I am on twitter. If you search under toastytootsies, it should pop up. I will also include that info in the email.
    Kerstin and Amy, I will post the link.
    :)

    ReplyDelete